Monday, November 12, 2012

Masking Christmas Cards



On Black Tie Friday's the challenge is masking.  My personal challenge is to make a Christmas/Holiday card for the remainder of the year when entering a challenge.  Initially, I started off with the blue card and was using the post-it masking technique with embossing.  I really liked the gold wording through the white trees.  Then I decided to add some snowflakes using heat and stick powder.  I couldn't decide whether I should use white flock or glitter... so, I did both.  It didn't look too good.  The glitter seemed to look a little better.  So, I re-stamped the snowflakes on another piece of paper and added only glitter.  It looked great.  Then I thought, what if I re-heat the other snowflakes and just add glitter (I didn't want my trees and sentiment to go to waste).  Well, as I was re-heating I realized I was burning what little flock was left.  I added glitter anyway!  In the end, I have brown, glitter, blue, and flock snowflakes.  I still kind of like it but it's not amazing...  Then I realized, you can hardly tell I did any masking.  I went through all the effort to cut out around the trees and around the words for my mask.  

So, I decided to make another card to show masking.  I was stumped.  The first idea came so quickly and the second, I had to look around the room a bit for some inspiration.  I decided I wanted to mask some clouds...  Then I didn't know what to put with them.  I wanted to do an owl but with what????  I finally ended up with trees.  By this point I decided to just punch them out instead of stamping.  So, I masked the clouds with a scallop circle and ink.  Ripped up some glitter paper for drifts of snow and I punched out the trees using the pennant punch.  Add a little rub-on for a sentiment and I'm finally done!

I am masked out!  Now the next challenge, decide who should receive this cards for Christmas...

Challenge Entered:

1 comment:

  1. Very pretty, I really like the texture on your first card, and the pop of color on the tree for your second card is very nice. Thanks for playing with Black Tie Fridays.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all of your comments and support. Thanks for visiting! Shelly